Since the beginning of this program, our plant has completed several initiatives such as:
- Water reutilization project
- RSPO Certification for Quincy plant
- LED lighting project
- Giving-back to the community projects
This year we are proud to announce that our newest initiative based on recycling and reducing the amount of Styrofoam we use. To kick off this initiative, TRT will be reducing the Styrofoam cups supplied on-site and replacing them with heavy duty reusable cups in the kitchens throughout the facility. These cups are BPA-free, made in the USA, dishwasher safe and suitable for both hot and cold liquids.
Benefits to reducing Styrofoam used in our plant?
- TRT’s goal is to be the sustainability leader in our industry. With an annual usage of 122,000 cups, this is an excellent sustainability gap to close and reduce our footprint.
- Health & Environment:
- Not only does Styrofoam negatively affect the planet, but it is also believed to have negative effects on the human health
- Styrofoam floats, meaning that large amounts of polystyrene have accumulated along coastlines and waterways around the world. It is considered a main component of marine debris.
- Styrofoam can be recycled, but the market for recycled Styrofoam is diminishing. Many recycling companies no longer will accept polystyrene products.
- The National Bureau of Standards Center for Fire Research found 57 chemical byproducts released during the creation of Styrofoam. This not only pollutes the air, but results in liquid and solid toxic waste requiring land-fill disposal. Another cause for concern are the brominated flame-retardants used on Styrofoam products. Research suggests that these chemicals may have negative environmental and health effects.
- Cost Savings:
- An estimated annual cost savings of $4,000 by reducing Styrofoam cups use.